Everyone always asks me how I started this. My response is usually: “I was in a bad mood and turned on the TV to find the last 15 minutes of Martha Stewart making this, so I tried it.” Needless to say, bad mood turned into good when I tasted it.
Anyway, I consider this a pretty simple recipe and can be done in about 15-20 minutes, depending on how cooked you want your pasta to be. You can certainly tweak this to your desired flavor.
2 tablespoons of olive oil (I use EVOO)
1 package of spaghetti (Barilla is what I use)
4 eggs, yolks only
4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
6-8 strips of bacon (really, help yourself…it’s bacon)
1 cup of heavy cream or fat-free half & half
1 cup of pasta water
handful of parsley
HOW TO MAKE — THE PASTA
1. Start by boiling your spaghetti in a large pot of water
2. While that’s cooking, heat up a 10-12 inch non-stick pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
3. Slice/cut your bacon strips in small pieces and place in the hot pain of olive oil
4. Cook your bacon until crispy (or whatever you desire)
5. Once bacon is cooked, remove from the pan but don’t drain any oil/bacon fat
6. Toss in your minced garlic and let it turn a light golden color, but don’t burn it!
7. By this time, your spaghetti should be ready to drain, so add the spaghetti into the pan of garlic and toss it around so it’s covered by the flavors of garlic and bacon fat (yum!)
* Don’t forget to save your pasta water! *
HOW TO MAKE — THE SAUCE
I would suggest making the sauce when you know you’re close to being finished boiling your pasta or when it’s completely done boiling.
1. Break open the 4 eggs, only saving the yolk and putting it in a mixing bowl
2. Add 1 cup of heavy cream or fat free half & half
3. Using a whisk, slowly add the 1 cup of pasta water while whisking the ingredients in the bowl
4. Once this has been mixed, pour it over the pasta
5. Add the cooked bacon
6. Mix it all together so the pasta is coated completely
7. Chop parsley and sprinkle on top
You can even add some cheese if you want. In the photo above, I sprinkled some mozzarella cheese.